Monday, August 01, 2016

Pokemon comments, literacy and randomness

The garden is in full production I am enjoying bountiful harvests of herbs - thyme, basil, parsley, chives, tarragon etc.  And eating zucchini pancakes, soup, casserole, etc etc.   Poor tomato crop.  Fair bean crop.  Good beets and leeks.

Of course what is really going strong is crabgrass and most other weeds that seem persistent and resilient.  Thinking we could all learn lessons from them.  Perhaps I should author a book "Persist like a weed - how to keep growing despite setbacks".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The bird feeder is attracting cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches and even grackles.  But the birds here are Mennonite.   I know that because they dislike having their picture taken (or I would have included them).  And I have never seen one driving a car.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am fascinated by consumer behaviour so am following the Pokemon Go craze with interest.  I like the idea of the game.  It is active and gets people off the couch.  It can be social and gets people interacting.  And it is not a shooting game.  So it all seems quite good.

I am not a gamer.  I just like the sociological study of them.

Where Pokemon may fail is as another device distraction.  People are having accidents through inattention.

It is interesting that one study says it has peaked.  It is also interesting how people are attached to the status quo already so object when changes are made as reported in this article.  Will have to see.

Trend or fad - we shall see.  Trying to figure out how to make a Danby Appliance trend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

People do what they see other people do.  So the question is - is reading a paper good (intellectual stimulation) or bad (over promotion of bad news).

I suspect she is doing this because the little chat we had when I suggested she was hurting statistics in Ontario by being illiterate.  Speaking of literacy - there is an upcoming event at the Tannery put on by the The Literacy Group (TLG)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home